Sometimes, you’ll want to create something a little more interesting with your smartphone photography. Like turn photos into sketches, cartoons, paintings or drawings.
This article is for you, showcasing 11 of the best photo editing apps for adding an extra wow factor to your shots.
- Create cartoon-style photo effects and caricatures
- Easy to use interface
- Editing tools for cropping, color, and brightness
- Live preview cartoon camera option
- Price: Free with in-app purchases ($0.99 to $1.99)
Clip2c0mic is a great app for making those caricatures of your favorite people. This app has a very simple user interface, making you more likely to use it on your portrait shots.
On opening the app you are presented with your photo library. Tap on an image (the original photo) to open it and quickly transform it into a comic book style drawing.
For turning your photo into a cartoon, this drawing app is one of the best iPhone and Android sketch apps out there.
This drawing iPhone app holds more than 2000 filters for turning your portraits and landscapes into wonderful masterpieces. Well over 90 of these filters are sketch styles, giving your images that sought-after pencil drawing look.
Using the free version of this image editor gives you a limited yet wide range of filters. For the entire collection, you will need to purchase a weekly, monthly or yearly subscription.
Load your image, scroll through the styles and tap on the one you want – it’s that easy.
The only drawback with this Android and iPhone app is that you need an internet connection. All images are sent to the company’s servers for processing.
- Over 2000 artistic filters
- Over 90 sketch filters to create a hand-drawn finish
- A Wide range of editing tools for filter effects
- Price: Free (with in-app purchases)
- Premium subscription: $0.99 a week, $1.99 a month, $9.99 a year
The Imaengine Vector isn’t your usual drawing app. It doesn’t turn your photo into a sketch or convert your picture into an abstract drawing.
It creates a vector or geometric shapes from your photograph. If you want that computer-generated, unnatural look, this is the Android or iPhone app for you.
Filters are applied to your uploaded image. They include plastic, two-tone pencils, and pop art.
The good thing about this drawing app is that the filter can be further edited to adjust the color, detail and stroke length. Get it today.
- 30 filter options to choose from
- Paint on top of your photos by using your finger
- “Rough up” your images for that hand-drawn look
- Save high-resolution images in various formats
- Import your images into other programs – such as Adobe Creative Cloud or Dropbox
If you love watercolors, then you will love this drawing app. It was amongst one of the best apps in 2014 and still continues to impress photographers far and wide.
Most of the Android and iPhone apps in our list edit your images. With Waterlogue, the image is recreated.
The filter is so good that you can’t tell it’s coming from a photograph at all.
Furthermore, the app is very user-friendly. This means you are more likely to use it, and keep coming back.
It’s a great way to create some really cool gift ideas for those who prefer to paint over digital photography.
- Specific watercolor drawing app
- Great tweakability of the resulting image
- Simple and easy to use
- Tinrocket (company) provides a few different editing apps
- Cheaper for OS users (just sayin’)
Brushstroke as a drawing app gives you a wide variety of painting styles, color palettes and choice of canvas surfaces.
What we like is you can order a Canvas print directly from within the app.
This iPhone app doesn’t create sketches nor drawing outlines. Rather, it converts your photo to a drawing and then paints the image in.
A pencil outline sits on top of the lines from the photograph, making it seem hand-drawn.
- User-friendly interface
- Paint styles inspired by famous painters
- Seven style groups
- A wide-range of sub-styles
- Sign your prints for authenticity
Becasso is a drawing app that is only available as an iPhone app. It uses clever algorithms to transform your pictures into beautiful works of art.
On top of this, there are a wide range of awesome effects that make your images pop.
There are three main areas to this iPhone drawing application. It transforms images either as a watercolor, cartoon or oil painting.
These can all be experimented with easily, allowing you to tinker with contour depth and sharpness.
If that wasn’t enough, a dedicated paintbrush tool allows precise, real-time changes.
- Three different styles
- Dedicated paintbrush creating precise editing
- User-friendly interface
- Sophisticated yet controllable
- High-resolution images are savable
- 16 preset sketch tools w
- Mask your image to apply specific and local effects
- Combine photo and text to create graphics
- Allows you to create double exposures
- Save images at high resolution for the highest quality possible
This drawing app is perfect for those who want simple photographic edits. It also attracts those who want to turn their images into amazing pieces of art.
The features include drawing effects, image correction, painterly effects, and photographic filters. If you wanted to turn your image into a painting, head to the artistic part of the app and choose Sketch.
The great thing about this Android and iPhone app is you can further tweak any of your filter settings, making it fully customizable.
Prisma is a great drawing app that recreates famous painting styles from some of the best artists the world has ever seen. From Picasso right down to Van Gogh. These filters also give you options with interesting patterns.
Open your image and choose from the various filters and you’re good to go. Some of the best sketch effects are on this iPhone app have the most creative names, such as Curly Hair and Heisenberg.
Use your finger to adjust the intensity of the applied filter. The only downfall with Prisma is that you can’t save images in full resolution. This is a problem for those who want to print large sizes.
- 30 different artistic filters to choose from
- Download new styles from the Store
- A User-friendly app similar to Instagram
- Online Prisma community
- Works with videos and photographs
Photolab is a great Android and iPhone app. It is ideal for turning your photo or picture into a sketch, painting or even a watercolour image.
On top of these painterly filters, you have the options of borders, frames and montages.
From opening the app and choosing your image, you are free to choose the effects category you want. Each will have several options to browse through, giving you full control over your image.
On top of the creative drawing app features, you can use its basic editing functions. Things like color adjustment, crop, rotate and touch-up are also possible.
- Choose an image from your Camera Roll or take one through the app
- Over 800 possible effects
- E-card templates allow you to create greeting cards for the holidays
- Additional photo filters include digital rain and jigsaw puzzle
- Save your artwork or share it on social media from within the drawing app
- Five possible art tools
- 11 possible canvas materials t
- Filter options include color pencil, charcoal, marker, oil and sketch
- A scale allows you to distort your image
- Save your image in high resolution for the high-quality images
Artomaton opens your image, letting you choose your drawing resolution and image size, where 4096 pixels is the maximum.
This is great for keeping the resolution high for social media sharing.
Once the filter is applied, you can tweak your image by using the density, line thickness and stroke settings. Margins and vignettes are possible if you’re into that sort of thing.
What we like is that you can even change the angle at which the light hits your digital canvas. A great iPhone app for converting your photo to a drawing.
1. iColorama S
iColorama S is our pick of the day. It not only sounds professional, but it also acts like it too. Once your imported image hits the screen, you’ll be able to choose a resolution size. You keep your high-resolution for better quality.
A simple tap on the Menu brings up all the categories. For the Sketch tool, head on over to the Style section. Once you have chosen your preferred sketch style, you can adjust the strength by using the opacity slider on the bottom.
The Set icon allows you to change the edging and shadow level. One thing to be aware of, the exported image will be the same as the imported one, so use big images.
- Several painterly styles – including a sketch style for a drawing filter
- 14 Sketch options to choose from
- More than 300 effects
- Import and use brushes from Photoshop
- Huge iColorama-S Facebook community
There we are! 11 of the best drawing apps for Android and OS systems, taking your images to the next level.
You’d be hard pushed to find better apps that allow such creativity. Just use the ones above to turn photos into sketches, cartoons, paintings or drawings.