Our Top 3 Picks
For all types of product photography, you need a constant, even light to create a pleasing exposure. This allows you to show off whatever you are photographing, and turn it into something people want to buy.
A lightbox is a great way to photograph anything from jewelry to insects. They are easy to install and give you the capacity to capture your items in high quality. Read on to find our top picks for photo lightboxes.
[ExpertPhotography is supported by readers. Product links on ExpertPhotography are referral links. If you use one of these and buy something we make a little bit of money. Need more info? See how it all works here.]
What Is a Light Box?
A lightbox is a great lighting system for quite a few different photography fields. Be it product photography, still life photography or even macro photography.
Lightboxes provide a controllable area where light can be maintained. This is a perfect solution when you need an all-over, balanced exposure.
10. Neewer 24 x 24" Light Cube
- Large removable front opening
- Translucent light diffusing white nylon fabric
- Custom carrying case with shoulder/hand carrying straps
- Item Size CUBE: 24 inches/60 centimeters
We started to see Neewer products from the last two years expand considerably. They are the company who offers the cheaper, budget alternative to many camera gear items.
For photo light boxes, there is no difference. Neewer is here with their 24 x 24″ inch version, which might be enough for those capturing some of the smaller to mid-sized products.
Don’t be mistaken, this is the basic kit, meaning all you get is the light box. You’ll find no lights alongside this fabric cube. But you will get four different colored backgrounds and a carrying case for portability.
The only problem with this kit is that folding and refolding can cause wrinkles in the backdrop fabric.
On top of that, you’ll need lights to turn this into a light box. If you’re looking, we recommend the Emart LED Continuous 5500K Light Lamps.
9. BrightBox Portable Mini Photo Studio
- Portable product studio lightbox
- Comes with a free product photography ebook
- Made from hard polypropylene material with a matte finish
- LEDs are powered by a Micro USB cable
- Comes with a black and white background
What sets the BrightBox Portable Mini Photo Studio apart is its hard polypropylene material. This makes it durable, and less prone to damage, as you could experience with fabric lightboxes.
LED lights are built-in, and are powered by a Micro USB cable that will run from a laptop or power outlet. They emit white light, ensuring a constant, easily white-balanced exposure.
You can set this lightbox up anywhere, and you need nothing except for the magnets which are already installed. It comes with a black and a white background. This gives you some flexibility in the products you capture.
8. MyStudio PS5 Portable Studio Lightbox
- Uniquely portable
- 24-inch wide seamless white background
- 5000K color-corrected ‘daylight’ lighting
- Additional colored backgrounds can be purchased
- Uses 110V/120V light fixture
For all your portable and professional needs, the MyStudio PS5 Studio lightbox has it all. This tabletop kit provides a great base in which to work from.
Unlike other lightboxes, this one does require a little construction. But the benefit is that you can incorporate any background with this frame, quickly and easily.
This isn’t just a lightbox, it’s an entire kit. This means you get lighting alongside it, and color corrected for daylight at 5000K.
If this is your first lightbox, then this will be helpful. Inside the pack, you’ll find a camera tip sheet, aimed at getting you started immediately.
This might be of interest to you, but a little small. If you’re looking for a bigger version, see the number 1 in our list.
7. AmazonBasics Portable Photo Studio Box
- No assembly required with set-up in less than a minute;
- Collapses into a thin, portable, and durable portfolio case.
- Measures 25” x 30” x 25” to fit a variety of product sizes
- High output built-in 5600k daylight balanced LEDs
Don’t be put off by the name. It might be a Basic photo studio box, but it comes from Amazon which is a name you can trust.
There are many features regarding this lightbox that make it a huge benefit to your photography and workflow. Firstly, it takes less than a minute to setup. This is perfect for any indoor or outdoor shoots where you are pushed for time.
Secondly, it is very portable. It collapses into a thin case, allowing you to take it anywhere with you. The light box that you enjoy using is the one you will shoot with the most, creating great product images.
Out of most of our photo lightboxes in our list, this is one of the largest. This makes it perfect for those medium-sized items.
On top of these benefits, you’ll find built-in 5600k daylight balanced LEDs. There is nothing else you need, except your camera and some time.
6. ESDDI Photo Studio Light Box
- 120 LED lamps with gradual dimmer
- 5500K color temperature and 26100 lumens
- Portable Simple Use
- Multiple openings enable you to choose any photo shooting position
- 4 PVC backgrounds( black, white, gray, orange)
If you have already experimented with light boxes in the past, you might find extra front flaps are annoying to work with. This box is different.
As the front is very much open to the world, you get a lot of play in the perspectives you place your camera in. This allows a variety of angles in which to capture your items.
The LED lights are built-in, and there are quite a few of them. This allows an all-over coverage of a 5500K color temperature providing 26100 lumens.
On top of the power, it is foldable making it portable for all situations and environments. To help with the range of items you’ll shoot, there are a total of four different background colors.
5. SAMTIAN Portable 16 x 16 x 16"
- 84 pcs LED lighting
- Brightness dimmer allows you to control the light
- Easy to Carry and Set-Up
- 6 x Backgrounds (Black, White, Blue, Gray, Red, Beige)
SAMTIAN is a name you should know when it comes to photography light boxes. There are two on our list, and this is the smaller of the two.
This is the 16″ cube, which is more than enough for the small and medium-sized items you need to capture. The 84 piece LED light comes in strips, and can be placed in multiple positions to ensure all-over lighting.
Not only is it easy to set up, but it’s also portable and easy to carry. This can go on-location to any environment, indoors or outdoors.
There are six different backgrounds, allowing versatility in the products and items you shoot. The reflective silver sides bounce the color you are using to keep it consistent.
4. LimoStudio 16 x 16" Light Tent Kit
- Contents: 1 x Mini Tripod / 1 x White Tent
- 2 x Table Top LED Lights / 1 x Cellphone Clip Holder
- Red, black, blue and white backdrop fabrics included
- 5500 Kelvin / 600 Lumens
- Mini Camera Stand: Height adjustable to 8-inch
Another 16″ photo lightbox that is great to use is the LimoStudio 16 x 16″ Light Tent Kit. As it is a kit, it comes with many features that make it a joy to work with and shoot inside.
Firstly, the four different backgrounds allow you to capture most items easily when white doesn’t quite fit. It comes with a mini camera stand, which is adjustable to8-inches in total.
The two tabletop LED lights reach 600 lumens. Lighting the product through the fabric walls won’t be a problem. The fabric is polyester, making it easier to clean for those more experimental shoots.
3. Emart 16 x 16" Studio Box Kit
- 2 x 15W LED Table Top Lighting, 4 Backdrops
- 1 Table Top Phone Tripod, 4 Color Gel Filters
- 5500 Kelvin / 600 Lumen
- Lightbox is portable and easy to set up
- Backdrops come wrinkle-free
If you’re looking for a photo lightbox that really needs a color input, then the Emart 16″ studio box kit is for you. Not only does the kit come with four different backgrounds, but you also get 4 different color gels to change the color of the lighting.
The lighting comes in the form of two 15W LED lights. The benefit of these is that they don’t heat up, meaning more power and reliable safety. They have a color temperature of 5500 K, making it easy to color correct in post-production editing.
It is a photo light box that is easy to set up and fold away when not needed. It is also portable if you need an on-location product shoot.
If you prefer to shoot using your mobile, then there is a universal bracket adapter for smartphones. This is handy alongside the included mini tripod.
2. SAMTIAN Photo Light Box 32 x 32 x 32"
- 126pcs 5500K LED light beads with 13000 Lumens
- Brightness Dimmer
- Front middle window, front open window and a top hole for different angles
- Four Shooting Backgrounds (white, black, red and orange)
This photo light box is the big brother of number 5 on our list. This beast is large enough to photograph almost anything except for an electric scooter.
As you would imagine due to its size, there are quite a few LED lights. There are 126 pieces in total, which come in beads allowing them to be placed in many different in-box configurations.
One of the biggest advantages of this photo lightbox is the dimmer switch. This allows for moody lighting, or a strong blast to separate the items from the white infinity curve.
The thing I like the most is the multi-angle shooting option. You can open the front completely, or close-it where a small window lets you capture a situation where light doesn’t escape. Even top-down shooting is possible.
1. MyStudio MS20 Professional
- 20 x 20 x 12-inch seamless cyclorama infinity background
- 90-degree corners provide maximum shooting angles and depth
- 5000K color-corrected “daylight” fluorescent lighting
- The unique cyclorama with all curved corners provides a soft, seamless background
- Uses 110V/120V light fixture
Number one on our list is the MyStudio MS20 Professional photo lightbox. This is the professional version of number 8 on our list, coming in larger and stronger, with a price to match.
Similar to its younger brother, the MS20 gives you a base construction to work from. Here, you attach any card or paper you wish, allowing for any tone, shade or color. White works the best, as you get a premade infinity curve and corners to reflect the light.
The infinity curve helps to cut down on time in post-production editing. This gives you more time to experiment, shoot, and ensure your images are tack sharp.
This kit comes with lighting which has a color temperature of 5000k. This makes it easy to ensure a ‘white’ and correct exposure. The difference here is they are not LED but more professional fluorescent.
I like the size, as it is expandable and versatile. The lighting gives it more of a professional edge, and it is easy to setup. It’s an all-in-one kit, but not really built for portability.