A mirrorless camera or DSLR camera bag is a necessity. This is the place you will store your camera equipment, primarily a camera body, a couple of lenses, memory cards, and also the bits and bobs that are also necessary.
We’ve chosen these bags for their cool and stylish design, making sure you don’t stick out like a sore thumb when you come to photograph that modish event.
[Note: ExpertPhotography is supported by readers. Product links on ExpertPhotography are referral links. If you use one of these and buy something, we make a little bit of money. Need more info? See how it all works here. — Ed.]
Why are Camera Bags Important
There are going to be different things you are going to require from a bag. The ones here have been chosen to carry a minimal amount of gear. These camera bags are to help you fit in, not allow you to carry every little piece of camera gear you own.
If you need additional lenses or more equipment, bring a bigger bag, swapping and changing as needed.
For an event, you may need your laptop, as you can work on your images in the downtimes. We have tried to include a few that have enough room to carry them.
We also looked into a minimum of three different styles, as a backpack isn’t going to be for everyone.
The softness and flexibility of the Retrospective 10 easily allow a pro size DSLR to be carried in the main compartment with a lens attached, facing downward. Within the Retrospective 10’s main compartment, there are two collapsible nylon side pockets (one on each side).
These pockets are tall enough to fit most flash units or other accessories.
And you can use a hook-and-loop strap to secure the contents or you can tuck it into the pocket for quicker access.
- Minimalist outer appearance conceals expensive photo equipment;
- Carries a pro size DSLR with standard zoom lens attached;
- Accommodates 2-4 lenses in the main compartment with DSLR body in front pocket;
- Front expandable pocket fits an additional pro size DSLR (body only);
- Organizer pocket built into the main compartment for pens, note pad, batteries, etc.
Here we have The Union Street leather messenger bag, which kicks ass in the stylish department. The vintage leather look makes it seem like an expensive book bag being carted around by a Ph.D. English professor in Cambridge, UK.
If you wanted to stay concealed as a photographer, this is the bag to choose.
- Soft, padded and customizable interior via five adjustable dividers;
- Holds a DSLR and up to three lenses;
- Small organizer pocket for your smaller items;
- Laptop compartment;
- Dual tuck-lock closure buckles and antique brass hardware buckles and rivets.
A covert camera bag for all your lens and body needs, the Filson Heritage is what seems like a duffel bag you would take to the gym. The big middle pocket and adjustable outside areas make this a carry-all messenger bag.
Inside the bag, you’ll find a modular interior designed to house camera lenses, bodies, and batteries.
- Made in the USA
- U-shaped solid brass zipper closure allows full bag access
- 1 bellows pocket, 2 flap pockets, 2 stow pockets
- Two snap-closure dividers create a modular organization
- Rustproof brass zipper closure and brass-plated zinc hardware
- Removable, adjustable nylon webbing shoulder strap
The Tenba Messenger is an urban-inspired laptop bag that is designed to hold everything you need for a day; on vacation or at work; at school or at the gym. A removable photo insert holds camera gear as well.
- Fits most 15-inch laptops;
- Removable photo insert;
- Easily holds D/SLR body, 3 lenses, flash, magazines and files, in addition to your laptop;
- The exterior of 1000 Denier Nylon: the most time-tested and proven outdoor textile ever, giving the optimal combination of strength, durability, and lightweight;
- Over 20 pockets and compartments to keep mobile hard drives, cell phone, MP3 player, cables, chargers, pens, and business cards.
the WANDRD PRVKE travel backpack is specifically designed for those traveling photographers in mind. It looks cool, with a stylish and clunky design. It comes in three colors, blue, black and green, and two different sizes.
Just in case the 21L option isn’t enough, there is a 31L version too. This bag has everything. Designed by photographers, it definitely has all the key features you are looking for in a bag.
- Three points of access. Side Quick Camera Access, Lay-Flat Clamshell Opening, and Adjustable Roll Top;
- The roll top gives you quick access and adds an extra 5 liters of space;
- Laptop and tablet sleeve which fits up to a 15″ MacBook Pro and iPad Pro and lets you breeze through airport security;
- Customizable storage via removable and modular camera cube;
- Will hold DSLR and up to 8 lenses;
- Countless other pockets and designs – such as the elastic lens cap holder.
We all know about Peak Design. Their photography products are well thought-out and not only look great but work perfectly. I have their Everyday Sling, which has worked perfectly for me since my ownership.
This is smart, sleek and very minimal. There are so many features about this bag which make it amazing to use. The straps hug your physique, their unique divider system ‘FlexFold’ is padded, slim and modular.
The bag isn’t just waterproof – it repels the water like a wizard. Just get it already.
- Holds Full Frame DSLR & 3-4 Lenses;
- Dedicated 15″ Laptop Sleeve;
- Three Flexfold Dividers Protect Gear;
- Built-In Expansion with Maglatch System;
- Exterior & Sub-Divided Interior Pockets;
- Either side camera and gear easy access;
- Perfectly sized to fit the new DJI Mavic, with controller and accessories;
- Four configurable tension straps let you carry large, heavy items on the outside of your pack.
- Overall: ★★★★★
The medium sized bag is designed to hold a camera body with up to 70 mm lens attached, an extra body and 4 lenses.
Additional accessories, like flash-unit, filters, charger, cables and personal essentials can be stored in other removable pockets. These sit inside the bag with the patented velcro and hook system.
The laptop divider is Velcro-compatible, allowing you to create the space you want with the included dividers.
- A comfortable backpack that isn’t only for cameras
- Dividers stay structured even when compressed
- Hidden open end front pockets
- Side ‘angled’ pockets are accessible from behind
- Zipperless seashell flap
- Latex foam shoulder
- Water and abrasion resistant
This backpack may look a little like a Shar-Pei puppy, but don’t let that fool you. It is stylish and has all the space you will ever need. The grey canvas style will allow you to fit into any stylish event you may find yourself photographing.
- A comfortable backpack that can accommodate DSLR with attached zoom lens plus 4 more lenses;
- Five outside pockets and a rear laptop compartment;
- Main compartment stores the camera in the bottom via a flap and quick access from side;
- Exterior made of highly durable canvas;
- Padded shoulder strap;
- Large space at the top for other items.
This sling bag is the ultimate travel companion. It’s smart, with a great color theme and, will suit any event where scruffiness is frowned upon. A professional photographers bag that isn’t too obvious, allowing you to work in peace.
It’s so good at keeping your equipment decompartmentalised that you’ll end up taking more than you need. No matter if you do, as the Billingham stays super comfortable.
- Removable camera insert secures with a single press stud inside the main compartment
- Dual expandable slip pockets at the front
- Rear zippered pocket at the back
- Compatible with optional AVEA pockets; Quick-release system allows you easy access to your gear
- Interior top divider on camera insert shields your gear from rain or snow
- Holds DSLR & Lens, 70-200mm, Flash
- Dimensions : 13.8 x 4.8 x 11.0
This rugged Pelican case has everything you need to keep your valuable equipment safe and secure. It features easy roller wheels, double throw latches, and watertight construction so there’s no need for a rain cover.
And it comes with an easy to adjust single layer padded divider set. This case also meets the FFA requirements for maximum carry-on size and has a retractable handle.
- Waterproof, crush-proof and dust-proof;
- FAA maximum carry-on size;
- Retractable extension handle;
- Strong polyurethane wheels with stainless steel bearings;
- Easy open double throw latches;
- Watertight with Automatic Pressure Equalization Valve;
- Reinforced padlock protectors;
- Stainless steel ball bearing wheels;
- Single Layer padded dividers with Velcro adjustments.